Well, since you’re here I would assume that you are kinda interested in the ketogenic diet if so I would be pleased to help you start out, first things first I would recommend you checking our Keto Meal, Dessert and Snack Cookbooks! Next, I would like you to check out this article and tell us what you think in the end…
I would like to state this in the beginning. These ketogenic diet tips for beginners are going to help you guys lose weight and keep to your ketogenic diet.
This post isn’t going to dive deep into what keto is but will give you guys some helpful tips and tricks to be successful, if you would like to find out more about the Ketogenic Diet then we’d recommend taking a read of our Keto Bod Me – Keto For Beginners Guide.
Let’s Get to The Point
If you ever start debating on weight loss and diets with your friends the (Ketogenic diet), keto diet is sure to come up in some point of the conversation. I am sure of this happening simply because of the fact that the keto-friendly foods are a pretty hot topic nowadays. It has tons of benefits including some health improving abilities alongside the weight loss benefits. Scientists have shown us that by implementing this Low Carb High Fat Diet (LCHF Diet) you can drastically improve the weight loss process. It has been proven that it can effectively improve health problems such as type 2 diabetes and cognitive decline.
In today’s article, we decided to explain to you how to get on the hype train and try out the keto diet. Which drinks and foods you are able to eat while in ketosis. Which beverages and snacks you can enjoy in those periods without going 1 step against the diet.
We thought that it would be worth noticing that the keto diet is a pretty strict diet when it comes to rules and regulations. And despite the fact that there are some more strict and some less strict variations of the diet. We’d say that if you want to get the optimal results out of this diet you would have to follow the rules. Because no matter how strict they look now, a couple of weeks along the way they would become your daily routine!
Some Of The Keto-Friendly Rules:
- Fats should replace the majority of cut carbs and deliver approximately 75% of your total calorie intake.
- Proteins should account for around 20% of energy needs
- Carbs are usually restricted to 5%.
This carb reduction forces your body to rely on fats for its main energy source instead of glucose — a process known as ketosis.
Foods to Eat on Keto Diet:
Try and make meals centered around these foods that will help you start the keto diet and stay in it:
- Pastured and organic the whole EGGS are one of the greatest choice you can make.
- The CHICKEN and TURKEY are also amazing when it comes to POULTRY.
- Fishing is an amazing sport. If you manage to catch FATTY FISH like SALMON, HERRING or MACKEREL they will also do well for the keto diet.
- For the MEAT, GRASS-FED BEEF, VENSION, PORK, ORGAN MEATS, and BISON
- YOGURT, BUTTER, and CREAM would be great for the DAIRY PRODUCTS.
- CHEDDAR, MOZZARELLA, BRIE, GOAT, and CREAM CHEESE are a great choice also.
- FLAX SEEDS, PEANUTS, PUMPKIN SEEDS, WALNUTS, ALMONDS, MACADAMIA NUTS are a great variety of nuts that will help you snack on the keto diet.
- Add in some COCONUT OIL, OLIVE OIL, AVOCADO OIL, COCONUT BUTTER and SESAME OIL for the healthy and natural fats.
- NATURAL PEANUT, ALMOND and CASHEW BUTTER for BUTTERS.
- WHOLE AVOCADO
- NON-STARCHY VEGETABLES
- SALT, PEPPER, VINEGAR, LEMON JUICE, FRESH HERBS and SPICES
Foods to Avoid on Keto Diet
Avoid foods rich in carbs while following a keto diet.
Here are the foods that you should avoid:
- BREAD and BAKED GOODS.
- SWEETS and SUGARY FOODS.
- SWEETENED DRINKS.
- GRAINS and GRAIN PRODUCTS.
- STARCHY VEGETABLES
- BEANS and LEGUMES.
- HIGH CARB SAUCES.
- SOME ALCOHOLIC DRINKS.
- UNHEALTHY FATS
- PROCESSED FOODS
- DIET FOODS
I know that we said earlier that in the keto diet, the carbs are off limit. But, you can enjoy the low-glycemic fruits like berries, but you should limit your macro-nutrient range in the keto-friendly limits. Avoid consuming processed foods and unhealthy fats and stay closer to healthy foods.
Sugar is present in a lot of conventional drinks such as Sparkling Soda, Juices, Iced teas, Coffees etc. And as we mentioned before in the previous paragraphs carbs are off limit except in some cases. So just like the high-carb foods, the high-carb drinks should also be avoided!
It is not a coincidence that these high-carb drinks have been linked to a lot of health problems ranging from obesity and all the way to increased risks of diabetes. But, we’re here to offer you the healthy and tasty drinks of the keto diet so here are a couple of keto-friendly drinks that you can drink anytime and anywhere!
- Water, one of the best choices when trying to hydrate your body and lose weight.
- Sparkling Water, an excellent replacement for the regular and unhealthy sodas.
- Unsweetened Coffee.
- Unsweetened Green Tea.
Combine your water with some keto-friendly ingredients to make it tastier and even more pleasant to drink. Add in some fresh mint and lemon to make lemon water which will aid you further in your weight loss process. And despite the fact that a big part of the alcoholic drinks are off the limit you can still enjoy a low-carb alcoholic drink such as vodka or a tequila from time to time.
A Sample Keto-Friendly Menu for One Week
The following menu provides less than 50 grams of total carbs per day.
As mentioned above, some people may have to reduce carbohydrates even further in order to reach ketosis.
This is a general one-week ketogenic menu that can be altered depending on individual dietary needs.
- Breakfast: Two eggs fried in pastured butter served with sauteed greens.
- Lunch: A bunless grass-fed burger topped with cheese, mushrooms and avocado atop a bed of greens.
- Dinner: Pork chops with green beans sauteed in coconut oil.
- Breakfast: Mushroom omelet.
- Lunch: Tuna salad with celery and tomato atop a bed of greens.
- Dinner: Roast chicken with cream sauce and sauteed broccoli.
- Breakfast: Bell pepper stuffed with cheese and eggs.
- Lunch: Arugula salad with hard-boiled eggs, turkey, avocado and blue cheese.
- Dinner: Grilled salmon with spinach sauteed in coconut oil.
- Breakfast: Full-fat yogurt topped with Keto granola.
- Lunch: Steak bowl with cauliflower rice, cheese, herbs, avocado and salsa.
- Dinner: Bison steak with cheesy broccoli.
- Breakfast: Baked avocado egg boats.
- Lunch: Caesar salad with chicken.
- Dinner: Pork chops with vegetables.
- Breakfast: Cauliflower toast topped with cheese and avocado.
- Lunch: Bunless salmon burgers topped with pesto.
- Dinner: Meatballs served with zucchini noodles and parmesan cheese.
- Breakfast: Coconut milk chia pudding topped with coconut and walnuts.
- Lunch: Cobb salad made with greens, hard-boiled eggs, avocado, cheese and turkey.
- Dinner: Coconut chicken curry.
Keto menus and diet plans can be fun and tasty too!
You can diet knowing that you won’t have to eat anything that you don’t like!