Sausage, Peppers, and Mushrooms Low-Carb Cheesy Bake is easy and delicious for a quick dinner and this tasty casserole is also Keto, low-glycemic, and South Beach Diet friendly, and it’s gluten-free if you pick the right sausage! Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
I first made this Sausage, Peppers, and Mushrooms Low-Carb Cheesy Bake last year during January when lots of people are wanting more carb-conscious meals. It took a couple of tries to get the combination of ingredients and photos I was satisfied with, and I didn’t get the keeper version until February. But this recipe is so easy, so quick, and so delicious that it’s actually perfect for a low carb dinner any time of year. And even if you’re not watching carbs, if you like Italian sausage and peppers I bet you’ll love this for an easy meal.
I liked this best with a whole pound of brown Cremini mushrooms. Saute mushrooms in a little olive oil and layer then in the bottom of the baking dish. Then saute red and green pepper strips and add them over the mushrooms. Season the peppers and mushrooms with spices and black pepper.
While you’re cooking the mushrooms and peppers, brown the turkey Italian sausage in a different pan. When sausage is brown, cut into half-slices and brown again on the cut sides. Layer the sausage in the baking dish, and sprinkle with a generous amount of grated Mozzarella.
Bake at 375F/190C about 25 minutes, or until the dish is bubbling hot and the cheese is melted and nicely browned. Serve hot and enjoy!
WEEKEND FOOD PREP:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
SAUSAGE, PEPPERS, AND MUSHROOMS LOW-CARB CHEESY BAKE
Sausage, Peppers, and Mushrooms Low-Carb Cheesy Bake is easy and delicious for a quick dinner.
- 2 T olive oil, divided (or less depending on your pan)
- 16 oz. brown Cremini mushrooms, washed and cut in thick slices
- 5 links (19.5 oz) hot or mild turkey or pork Italian sausage (see notes)
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into thick strips
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into thick strips
- 1/2 tsp. Italian herb blend
- 1/2 tsp. Spike Seasoning (or use any all-purpose seasoning blend if you don’t have Spike.)
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups grated Mozzarella (more or less as desired)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray or olive oil.
- Wash mushrooms and cut into thick slices. Trim away stem and seeds of peppers and cut into thick strips.
- Heat about 2 tsp. olive oil in a large non-stick pan and start to saute the sausage over medium-high heat, turning occasionally to brown on all sides. (If you’re using pre-cooked sausage you can skip this step and just cut sausage before you brown it.)
- While sausage cooks, heat about 2 tsp. olive oil in a separate pan and saute mushrooms over medium-high heat until they release their liquid, liquid is evaporated, and mushrooms are lightly browned. Transfer mushrooms to the bottom of the baking dish.
- Heat about 2 tsp. more olive oil in the same pan you cooked the mushrooms in and saute peppers over medium high heat just until they’re starting to soften, about 4 minutes. (They will cook more in the oven, so don’t overcook if you prefer them slightly crisp in the finished dish.)
- Layer the peppers over the mushrooms in the baking dish. Season the peppers and mushrooms with spices and black pepper.
- When the sausage is lightly browned on all sides, remove to a cutting board and let cool enough to slice. Then cut sausage in half lengthwise, cut into thick half-slices, reheat the pan, and brown the sausage again on the cut sides.
- Layer the browned sausage over the mushrooms and peppers and sprinkle with desired amount of grated mozzarella.
- Bake about 25 minutes, or until all ingredients are sizzling hot and the cheese is melted and nicely browned.
- Serve hot.
I used Jenni-O Hot Italian Turkey Sausage for this recipe which is low in fat and gluten-free. Use pork sausage if you prefer more fat.
Leftovers of this can be kept in the fridge for a day or two and reheated in a toaster oven or in the microwave.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
All images and text ©
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Sausage, Peppers, and Mushrooms Low-Carb Cheesy Bake should be a good choice for most Low-Carb or low-glycemic eating plans, even Keto. If you’re making this recipe for the South Beach Diet, they would recommend lean turkey Italian sausage and reduced-fat mozzarella.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.